05/12/2008

Ronaldo admits he was 'within an inch' of signing for Arsenal

Cristiano Ronaldo has said he was "within an inch" of joining Arsenal before signing for Manchester United. The Ballon d'Or winner joined Sir Alex Ferguson's side from Sporting Lisbon in 2003 and has gone on to win the Premier League and the Champions League with the club, but could have been turning out at the Emirates Stadium rather than Old Trafford.

"I was within an inch of [joining Arsenal]," Ronaldo told France Football. "I have a lot of respect for Arsène Wenger, he is a very clever man."

Wenger has previously pointed out that his club were first in the queue for the Portuguese winger. "I knew about him, yes," the Arsenal manager said earlier this year. "We were very close and we had him here. He was here much earlier."

Ronaldo was awarded France Football's Ballon d'Or this week, becoming the sixth England-based player to win the award following Michael Owen, Bobby Charlton, Stanley Matthews, George Best and Denis Law.

"I think I have gone down in history. And I am only 23," Ronaldo said. "But I think I have to work even more. I never relax ... I want to do as much next year and even more. Since I arrived at Manchester United, I have always improved year after year. I have always achieved something more season after season ... I want more titles, more awards and another Ballon d'Or."

Ronaldo also defended himself against accusations of diving. "You know Hercules? He was hefty and muscular but sometimes he fell," he said.

Sir Alex Ferguson today spoke of his admiration for the player who cost United £12m when he signed from Sporting. "It is brilliant for Ronaldo to win the Ballon D'Or," said the United manager. "I will be going to see him receive his award on Sunday and it is well deserved. The percentage of votes he got made it an almost unanimous decision. It is good to know he wants to improve. I think he will improve."

Ronaldo is likely to return to the United line-up for the visit of Sunderland to Old Trafford tomorrow after serving a one-match ban following his red card against Manchester City last weekend.

The Guardian

 

Sem comentários: